Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Building the micro Sumo  (Read 3978 times)

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Building the micro Sumo
« on: November 28, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »
This is the 20 in WS version of the Sumo. Here are the basic pieces cut from 1 sheet of $ store foam. I hope to have her up on Sunday.
Reg
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:06:57 PM by ganguy »
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
  • Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee.....
    • View Profile
Re: Building the micro Sumo
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 07:40:22 PM »
I love the Sumo.  Great plane

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »
Shaggy:
Thanks for that, I forgot to "notify" myself, well here it is. It has flown 2 feet in my living room vertical, so the next step is....... Gord where are you?
It was a bit fiddly cramming everything in and if I make it again, I will make her full sized and use Depron. Sticking to my tradition, I'm not painting it till I fly her!
Stay tune for the flight report!

Reg
PS - maybe this should be in the Foamies section
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:55:05 PM by ganguy »
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Flypaper 2

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »
Great job Reg. If you do build a bigger one it will probably fly better, or rather easier. This is where going bigger usually makes for a lower wingloading, giving you the slower flying, easier to handle traits. I built a smaller Catsass bipe and it didn't fly near as good as the big one you see flying at the indoors..

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:23:16 PM »
Thanks Gord, I was thinking the same thing, and I have the full-size plans too. But I'll give her a whirl. I'm ready to start another build, either a Wing or a Polaris.
Reg

Flypaper 2

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »
You sucked me right in Reg ;D Checked out the Sumo thread on RC Groups and it looks like a hoot. Going to build a weeny one 16in version. What's the old saying "don't do as I do, do as I say" :D Watched a couple of videos and doesn't look hard to fly :'( I'll try to get it going for Sunday but that remains to be seen.

Flypaper 2

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 09:51:55 AM »
Maybe a little buildalong. This is the tiled plans downloaded, taped together and cutout

Flypaper 2

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »
Drawn out on 3mm Depron

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 10:45:10 AM »
Hi Gord:
That won't be the smallest, there's a post on the Sumo thread and a video of one that looks about 10"WS!
Mine is ready to go, I had her at the local field but she didn't like the cold. Maybe you will maiden her for me?
I'm on to the next project, a 26" Polaris. Looks like fun, both high and low speed, will take off from any surface. Quite a thread on RCGroups.  I think Hobby King copied it. You can buy a kit, but that's no fun. If it works, the guy has plans scaled up to 125, 150 and  200%.  I'll start a new thread as soon as I cut foam. Got to get more 6mm Depron at LE today.
Reg
(Where are the other foam builders?)

Flypaper 2

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 11:20:56 AM »
Yeah, I was hoping it would get people cranked up a bit. Any questions would be helpful guys. Be glad to crank yours up at the indoor doo. My glasses are working better now...........I think. ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 11:27:40 AM by Flypaper 2 »

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Looking good! Great progress, is that $ store or Depron?
Reg

Flypaper 2

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
I had a hunk of 3 mm depron so thought I would put it to use. About half the thickness of the $ store stuff.I took the electronics out of ah .... ahem......plane that had an accident.......promise it wasn't my fault..........well not all my fault........just sort of bent a bit..........and fell out of the sky. ???

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 10:32:51 PM »
yeah, I've got stuff from one of those events too!

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 04:47:50 PM »
Gord:
Is the miniSumo ready for tomorrow?
Reg

Flypaper 2

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 05:20:31 PM »
No, but I did get three other small planes ready to go that were sitting, waiting for repair. All hot to trot for tomorrow if we're not up to our knickers in snow ;D