Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Pylon racers  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
Pylon racers
« on: December 07, 2013, 11:43:46 AM »
   Just thinking.....Which is very difficult for me :laugh:.......What about those micro fighter type planes that have bit the dust, or cement of the drill hall, and the electronics are still good. Someone gave me the remains of one"thanks" and I was thinking of building a formula 1 Reno Racer type plane . Just made from $ store foam as they would have a low mortality rate ??? Most things would be self limiting, such as only the gear that came with a um fighter would be allowed. Just so somebody wouldn't put in a humongous motor in one. Wingspan could bo limited to say 16 or 18 in. The rest is self limiting. If you build to strong means heavy and performance goes down. too light, and they become vulnerable to easy damage. Google Formula 1 Reno Racers, and you'll come up with many cool designs. I'll try to get a "Rivets" going for this next Sundays doo. We just need to stick a Pool Noodle pylon up at each end and giver  :D
    We need enough to make it worthwhile and 7 cessions left.

Wadya think?? ;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:46:44 AM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline fliegerfunker

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Pylon racers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 11:03:43 PM »
Something along these lines?......

http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=898

Go for it, Gord!

Martin

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:44:42 AM »
Gord:
Great day yesterday! after you left I managed to smash up the Sumo, but the suggestions you made should fix it.
I was about to start building the Polaris, but you mentioned the little pylon racer again, and that's not a bad idea. If we both did it (and maybe Martin did too) we could demo at the next indoor, and the kids will probably really want to get on board then.
So where are the plans? I'm ready to build.
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »
Here is a plan from RC Groups:
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:04:22 PM »
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188922
   HhmmmmLooks like I've been looking for them for a while. Was perusing through Google trying to find decent 3 views when I was pointed to this. At least it has some to pick through. What I would like is for micros to be built from the leftover mictro gear. This way they wouldn't be big enough or fast enough to be dangerous. Maybe up to 16 in. wingspan range. See anything you like there reg. I started to build this Rivets from $ Store foam wing and pool noodle foam for the fuselage. I think ruggedness is more important than scale details. Wadya think guys. Wish I had a better idea of what I'm doing with this Google Search thing. I have no idea of what I'm doing :-[
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 02:19:28 PM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »
Jeez, I like 'em all. you could look there forever. My problem is I don't have any micro gear that's not in a micro. Can you buy a brick?
R

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
I'd probably have enough stuff kicking around Reg. Only need 3 channels for these things. Throttle, ail and elev. Or, throttle rudder and elev, with enough dihedral. So, get your crayon and a roll of fresh toilet paper and giv'er. ;D If you find you something you like, give me a reply and I'll give you hand if you like. If you get started, I'll finish the Rivets. I might even make a cartoon Reno Racer just for fun. :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:27:53 PM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
That's really generous, Gord, thanks, I'll get to work on it. But if we want to get a bunch of people involved, we'll have to find a way for them to get the bricks.
As we get these first few off the ground, maybe we should have a standard design to keep it fair. On the other hand who cares? Every pilot for himself! We can advertise it as the Thomson Pylon Challenge and get LE to put up a prize.
I'll get back into those designs.
That was quite a strong plane you built back a few years ago!
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 07:56:55 PM »
Gord:
Look at this, the sky's the limit now, and pretty cheap!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1462072
Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 09:11:24 PM »
Great stuff Reg. What we could do is limit it to a single cell batt. That would help keep the speed down and everybody has them . To bad a couple of other guys wouldn't join in into the fun. Think I'll go to a profile fuselage as those big cheek cowls would really stiffen up the nose.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »
Ok, let's do it. Why don't you settle on the design and I'll copy it, that way we can be up and running fast and get others involved.
Reg

Offline fliegerfunker

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 12:12:20 AM »
Are you planning to go with brushed or brushless? Personally, I think using the guts from a Trojan, Sukhoi or P-51 would perfect - 16" span or a little larger would be perfect. You don't need a lot of speed - there would be plenty of crashing anyway!

Martin

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 06:27:33 AM »
I think as long as it's one of the Reno racer designs, it would be fine, and say, not over 16 in. span.
   If those planes use brushless, I think they'd be fine. Wadya think??
     Reno Racers do have some interesting planes in the biplane class too.
         I could draw up some plans for different planes and put them on posterboard patterns if there was enough interest.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 08:21:20 AM »
Gord:
That's what I was asking for earlier, some plans to get started.
On the "guts" side, I don't have any (!) and I suppose the folks we want to attract won't have as well.
Looking at the the HK "bricks", you can get a pretty good 5 channel one fpr $25. If we could specify what motor and prop to go with it, then it would be a kit people could subscribe to. In my case I haven't got a crashed micro, so I would go that way immediately and get an order in to HK.
HELP!
Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »
I was hoping to get the guys with leftover parts from their wrecked UM planes would be the first to join in, but I guess not. I'll try and go over to leading edge to see if they have a basket full of returned parts for these things and get down on my knees to see if they would donate them for the cause. If there is no interest we're just banging our collective heads against the wall.
Gord